Friday 26 July 2013

How to : DIY Flag Canvas Shoes

So as I promised yesterday here is my guide on how to make Flag Canvas Shoes! You by all means can use whatever flags you want, I chose these flags for a World Cup theme as all countries are most likely to qualify! You could use whatever flags you like! If that is the case these shoes can still act as a guide because they show how to place up to 10 flags on each shoe! However you could easily have as little as four! One one the front, one on the left, one on the right and one on the heel! So anywhere here we go:

Equipment
  • Fine Sharpie Markers - You could use special fabric paints however I feel Sharpies and similar permanent markers give such a better finish!


I bought my Fine Sharpies from Amazon here.

These were the cheapest I could find after an hour of searching. I highly advise getting a 12 pack because there are very few flags you can't draw. Plus the extra colours are really nice. 
  • Ultra Fine Sharpie Markers - I didn't have these when I first made my shoes, TRUST ME, they will make a difference, just for going round the edges and small details these are worth the extra cost. In some parts my Sharpies ran, leaving smudges, my inner OCD kills me because of it! Necessary for designs like the Mexico flag.

  • White Canvas Shoes - Of course, the most important item, it's entirely up to you which shoes you buy, I bought a very cheap pair from Amazon of decent quality here.

  • A sharp pencil - I used a HB, any pencil at home should do.
Optional:
  • Water Proofer - I bought mine from JJB Sports, I recommend giving it 2-3 light coats on a windy day, leaving it to dry for 30 minutes, I find it gives the colours a little extra protection against water and rain.
Method
1. Make sure you fully understand what design you are doing practice drawing your flags on paper. For designs like the brazil flag make sure you use a ruler and compass and make sure each shoe has the same size design!
2. Remove laces. Separate your shoe into areas for your flags. Do this by using your pencil and drawing a thin but visible line. This is how I divided up my shoe. Excuse the very rough drawn lines on Paint!


3. Once you've divided the shoe into sections draw out your designs on the shoe IN PENCIL.
4. To protect the soles from getting stains apply a thick layer of Vaseline, this is not too important if you have Ultra Fine liners and a steady hand! 
5. Using your Ultra Fine Sharpies draw the outline of your designs. Do this with patience it's hard not to want to do everything all at once but taking care is worth it.
6. Fill in the outline with the Fine Sharpies taking care not to let it run over edges onto other flags.
7. Leave to dry and admire your work. If the colours are patchy give it another coat in places and leave to dry once more.
8. Once finished leave to fully dry for an hour then apply Water Proofer or other protective sprays to preserve your masterpiece, or masterpieces if you remembered to do both shoes.
9. Voila, you have your own customised pair of shoes that nobody else has but will envy.

Extras and Tips
  • If your a football fan, use your favourite teams for the World Cup next year!
  • Sharpies and some Water proofers are solvents, keep the windows open as they can easily give you a headache with prolonged use!
  • Put scrunched up paper like the type that came inside your shoes when you bought them inside the shoes. They make it firm for drawing on!
Thanks for reading! If you decide to make these shoes or any other canvas shoe design feel free to send pictures of them to me I'd be very interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment